Are you bored of the usual rice and vermicelli kheer/pudding? Do you want to try a different kheer other than the usual stuff?
Presenting to you all a very delicious Almond and Pistachio Kheer.
The recipe for this sweet delicacy was passed on to me by my MIL (mother in law). Something totally different from the usual kheer preparation, this rich and delicious kheer is perfect for any festivals or special occasions. I had prepared this once during ramadan but couldn't post the recipe soon.
Since i made this on a weekday on hubby's demand, i only used small quantities of almonds and pistachios. So this recipe will yield 4 servings.
1/2 cup of almonds (soaked, skins removed and dried or toasted)
1/2 cup of pistachios (soaked, skins removed and dried or toasted)
2 tbsp of ghee or clarified butter
1/3 cup of sugar (you may use more if desired)
2 cups of whole milk
1/3 tsp of ground cardamom powder
Few strands of saffron.
1) Soak almonds and pistachios for at least 5 - 6 hrs (you may also soak them in warm water to decrease the soaking time). Drain the water and remove the peels.
2) Originally this recipe calls for air dried almonds and pistachios. So you can spread the almonds and pistachios on a paper or a large dish and let it dry off in your patio/balcony. Since i didn't have the time for air drying i roasted them in the oven instead.
3) Preheat the oven to 350F. Spread the almonds and pistachios on a baking sheet. Toast the almonds and the pistachios for 20 - 25 mins or until they are dry, crisp and very slightly brown in color. Make sure that the baking sheet is kept in the middle rack. I mistakenly kept it one rack above the middle hence the almonds and pistachios have more color on them in the pictures. But its fine as long as they are not burnt.
4) Remove from the oven and let it cool for few mins. Transfer into a food processor/mixer and grind it into fine powder.
5) In a saucepan heat about 2 tbsp of ghee/clarified butter. Now add the powdered almonds and pistachios and saute on a low heat for few mins. Since i had already toasted the almonds and pistachios, i didn't toast the powder for too long in the ghee. If you are using the powdered mixture which was not toasted in the oven, you will need to toast it in ghee for few mins until it gives out a nice aroma.
6) Add the sugar and mix. Then add the milk and stir. Let it cook on a low to medium heat until the milk starts to thicken a bit. Keep stirring frequently so that the mixture doesn't stick to the bottom. Mine took around 20-25 mins. The consistency should be a little thick but not too runny.
7) Finally finish off with cardamom powder and few saffron strands.