After reading about cauliflower pizza crust all over the internet and food blogs....i had to try it out and now i know what the fuss is all about. The crust actually does taste like a normal pizza crust.
This new pizza crust has taken the food world by storm. And why would it not? Who could possibly say no to a gluten free and low calorie pizza... :)
So i thought why should i be left out and hence i finally tried my hands on making the cauliflower pizza crust yesterday night.
You will find many recipes online for the same but the recipe i tried is adapted from ifoodreal.com. Even though i have not tried any other versions yet, this recipe seems to be a fool proof one and is a must try for sure.
Recipe Source: iFOODreal.com
1 head cauliflower medium sized - cleaned (remove all the leaves and stems like we normally do), washed and chopped
1/2 cup of grated parmesan cheese
1 large egg (at room temperature)
1/2 tsp of oregano (or any italian seasoning of your choice)
Salt and pepper for seasoning
1) Preheat the oven to 375 F.
2) Add the washed and chopped cauliflower in a food processor and blend until you get a "rice" like texture. The cauliflower will looks and feel like rice.
2) Spread the mixture onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Press the mixture lightly with your hand. Cook the cauliflower rice in the oven for 15 mins.
3) Remove the cooked cauliflower onto a 2-3 layered cheesecloth/muslin cloth. Squeeze and remove water from the cauliflower as much as you can until there is no liquid coming off.
4) In a bowl add the cauliflower, beaten egg, parmesan cheese, oregano, salt and pepper and mix it nicely with your hand. The texture will not be like a pizza dough but don't worry it will hold.
5) Turn up the oven to 450 F.
6) Line the baking sheet with a new parchment paper. Spread the cauliflower mixture on the baking sheet. Spread the cauliflower mixture as this as you can into a square shape. It will not cover the baking sheet entirely but thats fine.
7) Bake the crust for 15-20 mins (you will see the edges of the crust turning brown) and remove from the oven.
8) Now comes the easy part. Top it off with your fav toppings and put it back into the oven until the cheese melts and turns golden brown.
Note: I brushed the pizza crust with garlic infused oil before adding the toppings. This was not in the original recipe. You may add or skip it as per your desire.
I topped my pizza with whatever veggies i had, green bell peppers, caramelized onions, parmesan cheese and mozzarella cheese.
I had my pizza with a warm and hearty lentil soup. Yummmm