Every day is a celebration, celebration of life, love, family, friends and all that we are blessed with. I am indeed really very lucky coz i am blessed with the most handsome, loving, compassionate and caring husband (touchwood). And i would yet again (as mentioned in my Facebook status) say that all the words in the world would fail to describe what we share between us.
With him, not only everyday but every moment is like a celebration. So when it came to our first wedding anniversary it was well double celebration.....hehehe. We did miss our families and friends back home (india) but managed to celebrate our special day in our own sweet little way. Well i am not going to bore you guys with all the small details but here's what we did......
I was super excited to bake my very first cake from scratch (well i have baked cakes before but never layered cakes with all the frosting). So initially i decided to bake black forest cake. After a lot of thinking black forest seemed like meh.....hahahaha.....this was our first anniversary it had to be something special. And suddenly it clicked RED VELVET CAKE. Firstly its my hubby's fav, secondly it is red which is the color of love, hmmm love.... that is what we were celebrating after all and last but not the least it is absolutely delicious. This cake takes yumminess to an all new level, especially its frosting (its to die for). So i started with the prep work late in the afternoon so that we could cut the cake and celebrate at the stroke of midnight. The recipe i followed was the one i got from joyofbaking.com.
So my dear friends do try this recipe on any of your special occasions like anniversary, birthdays and its a very popular choice for valentines day why??.... coz its RED :P.
This is how i started off...
Ingredients for the cake:
2 1/2 cups of sifted cake flour
2 tbsp of regular unsweetened cocoa powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup of unsalted butter (at room temperature)
1 1/2 cup of granulated white sugar
2 large eggs
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
1 cup of buttermilk
2 tbsp of liquid red food color
1 tsp of distilled white vinegar
1 tsp baking soda
For the frosting:
1 - 8 ounce cream cheese at room temperature
1 - 8 ounce mascarpone cheese at room temperature
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
1 1/2 cup of cold heavy whipping cream
1 cup of confectioners sugar or powdered sugar (sifted)
1) First off preheat your oven 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Then butter two round 9 inch cake pan and line the bottom of the pans with parchment paper. Once done set them aside.
|Do cut the parchment paper in round shape. |
Else it would spoil the shape of the cake. I was just too excited to do that hahaha....
2) Sift together flour, cocoa powder and salt in a bowl and set that aside.
|I had newspaper spread all over the countertop....to avoid any kind of staining from the red color|
3) In a large bowl, beat the butter using electric hand mixer or stand mixer until soft. Add sugar and beat for about 2-3 minutes until nice and combined. Once that is done add the eggs one at a time and beat well. Add vanilla extract and mix until combined.
4) In a separate bowl or cup mix the buttermilk with the red food color.
5) Slowly combine the flour mixture and the buttermilk mixture in to the butter, sugar and egg mixture alternately in batches until thoroughly combined.
6) In a small bowl combine vinegar and baking soda. As soon as this is done the mixture will bubble, immediately mix it with the cake batter. Once combined quickly transfer the cake batter onto the two cake pans and divide them as equally as you can. Smooth the edges with a spoon or a spatula. Bake for about 25-30 mins or until a toothpick or a small knife inserted comes clean.
7) Let the cake cool for about 10-15 mins, remove the cakes from the pan and let them cool completely on a wire rack. Once cooled refrigerator the cake layers for about an hour. This will help in easy frosting.
|I inserted a small knife in the centre of cake instead of a toothpick...lol|
Cream cheese frosting:
In a bowl beat the cream cheese and mascarpone cheese until nice and smooth. Add the sugar and vanilla extract and combine. Next add the heavy cream gradually until the mixture is thick in consistency.
|Cream cheese + Macarpone cheese|
|Powdered sugar |
|Heavy whipping cream|
|Whisk whisk whisk |
Assembling the cake: